I used a recipe for cherry pie but adapted it to use apples and voila, the best freakin' homemade apple pie I I could have made.
Adapted recipe from Vegan Pie in the Sky
For the crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
8 tbsp vegan margarine
8 tbsp vegan shortening
6 tbsp ice water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the filling
4-5 cups peeled and chopped apples
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1. In a large bowl mix together the flour and salt. Mix in the sugar.
2. Add half the margarine and shortening by the spoonfuls, cutting it into the flour mix with your fingers or a pastry cutter until it appears pebbly. Add the remaining margarine and shortening to the flour mix.
3. In a cup mix together the water and cider vinegar. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mix by the spoonfuls, gently mixing it in.
4. Knead the dough and add more water as needed. You won't need much until it gets doughy enough and stays put together to work with.
5. Divide the dough in to two, rolling each half into a ball then press each one into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425F.
7. In a large mixing bowl mix together apples, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
8. Prepare the pie plate with one half of the dough. Add the filling.
9. Cover the apple filling with cut-out pieces of the other dough half. I used a cookie cutter to create stars and circles but you can use any shape, or simple strips.
10. Bake for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 350F and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
11. Place pie on cooling rack to cool down for about half an hour before serving.