Give up plastic, for good!
I know you’ve heard it before, time and time again, but it’s good to be reminded – plastic is bad! We’ve become so reliant on using plastic in everything even though it is probably the worst man-made material we rely on.
This year, if there was anything to try giving up using it would be plastic. So why is plastic so bad? Here are just a few reminders:
- Endangered wildlife can accidentally ingest plastic materials loosely dumped in our landfills that eventually reach our oceans
- Making plastic material contributes to global emissions, which pollutes our environment, the air and our land
- Plastic is not biodegradable, so it never disappears! Every piece of plastic ever made still exists today, even just as plastic dust!
- It takes about 430,000 gallons of oil to produce 100 million non-degradable plastic bags and we are using about 4-5 trillion worldwide annually
- Plastic is made from petroleum and natural gases that are non-renewable
- Of all the plastic materials that are made only a few are even recyclable!
- Most of the plastic that gets thrown out usually makes it to our oceans, contributing to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
The worst plastic of them all: bottled water!
- North Americans still buy more bottled water than any other nation in the world despite possibly having the best water sources and regulated, clean and drinkable tap water
Bottled beverages may seem convenient when you're on the go but if more people truly understood or recognized the problems these bottles pose I think less people would be so quick to purchase them
For some tips to help get you started on reducing your plastic waste check out these sites: