One of my favourite things about Sunday mornings, is having time to make a lovely breakfast. I especially love when I can try something new, like this morning, I made delicious lemon poppy seed pancakes. They were perfect for breakfast, light, fluffy and just the right amount of lemony.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Original recipe is from Jae Steele's book, Ripe from Around Here
2 cups spelt flour
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup almond milk
3 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp coconut or sunflower oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of one organic lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice (from about one lemon)
1. Mix together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
2. In another bowl mix together the milk, agave, oil, and vanilla.
3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just mixed.
4. Fold in the lemon zest and juice until just combined.
5. Pour spoonfuls of the batter onto a lightly oiled hot skillet and cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.