Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Best. Hummus. EVER!


One of my all-time favourite things about Fall is butternut squash, any squash really, but mostly I enjoy butternut.  Finding new recipes for it however, can be a challenge.  Either then turning squash into soup or roasting it, I didn't think there was much else I could do with it. Recently, however, I found a recipe for curried butternut squash hummus ... huh? Weird.  No, not weird, AMAZING! At least that is how I feel now after making it, devouring it and sharing it with every possible person around me.

Not only is this hummus delicious on bread, crackers or with any raw veggies, it was also used to make this delicious vegan lasagna (pictured below, right).


Now, the lasagna recipe is lengthy and time consuming so instead, I share with you the amazing hummus recipe and my green rice recipe (pictured above, left):

Curried Butternut Squash Hummus
Recipe from 500 Vegan Recipes

2 cups chopped roasted butternut squash
15 oz (425g) cooked garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 large-size clove garlic, grated
1 tbsp extra-virigin olive oil
1/4 cup tahini
Juice from 1 lemon
1 heaping tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend together well until smooth.  Adjust flavour as you like it by adding salt and/or pepper or more of less of the other spices and lemon juice.

I also like to add a touch of water to really smooth it out.  Serve with crackers or vegetable sticks.

Green Rice with Kale

1/4 cup Arugula Pesto
3-4 cups cooked jasmine rice
1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped into small pieces
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Serve warm to hot.  Best served as a side dish, even though kale is amazing!


The hummus I made didn't last very long to preserve but I imagine it would freeze pretty well! It would be similar to freezing pureed squash or pumpkin, I think, which I will review next week!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...