Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Welcome Fall! I Offer Comfort Food: Chili


When I am in the kitchen sometimes my best learning experience is through experimenting.  I try my best to find great recipes online or in my many cook books that will use up the ingredients I have at hand, but more often then not, I am missing one or two things.  I am usually missing those one or two things that are unfortunately, key to the recipe.  Those kitchen staples that I just haven't gotten around to buying or stocking up on.

So, some days, it is just more fun and easier to take what you have on hand and make something out of it.  This is what happened when I only had kale, canned beans, left over tomato sauce, and a few other farm fresh produce left to use for a dinner party, which I didn't know what to do with.  What happened?  A recipe was born!

Kale & White Bean Chili

1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
1-2 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp fresh or dry parsley
1-2 tsp fresh or dry oregano
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 large zucchini (or 1 whole small-med one), chopped
1.5 cups of tomato sauce (store-bought or homemade is fine, any will do)
2 cans white kidney beans, rinsed and well drained
1/2 to 1 whole bunch of kale, broken apart in big pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large pot over med-high heat.  Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft.

2. Add spices, cook for about a minute.

3. Add peppers and zucchini, mixing well and cooking for about 3 minutes.  At this point turn heat down to medium.

4. Add tomato sauce and beans, stirring together well for about a minute or so.

5. Add kale and cover for at least 5 minutes to soften.

6. Stir everything together well once.  Add salt and pepper to taste and thenleave, covered for about 10-14 minutes cooking on med-low heat.

7. Turn heat off, mix together one last time and let sit a few minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...