Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mike's Vegan Mac 'n' Cheeze

Growing up, I loooooooved mac and cheese as a kid. But with everything I know now about food and the industry, I just can't bring myself to ever buy, prepare or eat one of those out of the box meals ever again.  So I also loooooove it when my wonderful and amazing boyfriend makes me vegan mac 'n' cheeze from scratch!



Mike's Vegan Mac 'n' Cheeze

More or less, in his words ...

I don't know exact measurements.  I just do it.  So here goes:
 
Cook 454g package of organic macaroni according to package directions
 
Preheat oven for 350F

To make the sauce:

Melt 2 Tablespoons of Earth Balance vegan butter in a pan.
Add 1.5 Tablespoons of organic flour.
Simmer and stir on low heat until creamy.
Stir in 1 cup almond milk until smooth.
Add about 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard (from the bottle, not powder).
Add your own spices such as paprika, garlic, whatever you like.
Add 1 Cup Daiya Cheddar cheeze and stir until melted and well combined.


Fry about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs in butter until browned.

Add Macaroni and Sauce to (forget what this dish is called, you know the one, big dish, goes in oven) ... I am pretty sure he means a casserole dish.

Top with Bread Crumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Allow to cool before serving but best served hot or warm.  He likes it with ketchup!


Good luck!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...