A delightfully delicious soup I made using the remaining zucchinis I had and purchased from the farmer's market. The basil in this soup really adds some nice flavour and aroma. The recipe comes from one of my most favourite food websites/blogs, Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. It was really simple to make, a lovely Summer soup.
What you will need
Boil then simmer the vegetables with the broth.
Zucchini and Basil Soup
Original recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, this is what I used:
- About 7-8 cups of chopped zucchini (2 pounds zucchini)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 3 tbsp raw cashews
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- additional salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook the onion in a large saucepan for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the chopped zucchini, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the broth and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, pour everything into a blender in 2 batches, if necessary. Add the basil, cashews, and nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot, heat over med to low heat and season again with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop or Shred any remaining zucchini to use as garnish. Pour soup into bowls and sprinkle garnish on top. Serve warm to hot.
Thank you again Susan for a great recipe!