Monday, August 6, 2012

Urban Garden I: Back on Deck

Echinacea flower
My garden this was suppose to be in the backyard, in the ground, this year.  But alas, that is what happens when you leave the country for two months, your landlord takes it over forgetting the promise she made to you.  Annoying, but I'm over it.  In fact, it was perhaps a blessing in disguise.  Besides being incredibly busy this Summer, I have absolutely fallen in love with my urban container garden this year.

So, on this lovely relaxing holiday Monday I share with you a few of the items I am growing this year ...


Summer Squash.  I started this beauty from a seed back in early June, so it was a bit delayed getting started but it is growing surprisingly well in a container.


Some squash are finally coming in! I learned recently that to speed up the process I can self-pollinate the plants.  Every plant grows a male and female and of course, only the females bare fruit.  So, the trick is to pollinate the plants to create more females.   Don't ask me how, I just know this and hope I did it correctly!


My ever-bearing strawberries are spreading like wildfire!  Here is just a small glimpse of the over 20 plants I now have.  I think they will make good birthday gifts for friends.



Mint also spreads like wildfire if it isn't kept under control, so it actually makes for an ideal container plant.  I also kept mine outside last year but it all came back!


Edible Flowers: Marigolds.  These are beautiful flowers that I like to keep as an attractive item in my  garden.  They are also edible however, just cut the flowers off and add to your Summer salads or use  them in cake decorating.


Lavender, parsley, dill ... no garden is complete without an amazing array of herbs.  These herbs came in late this year, again I started them from seeds in early June but they will be worth the wait!


Garlic chives ... and a zebra.

 Lavender ... and a bear.


I am also attempting to grows beets in a container this year.  Now beets will only grow as big as the room available to them, so in this case they probably won't get very big.  Trial and error is the greatest way to learn when growing a garden.  If you never try anything you will never learn what to do/not to do next time.


When people can see a vision and simultaneously recognize what can be done step by step in a concrete way to achieve it, they will begin to feel  encouragement and enthusiasm instead of fright.

Erich Fromm, To Have or To Be?



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...