Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Indonesia Inspired: Lawar Ayam
Green Bean and Coconut Salad
From the Baliese region, original recipe from Vegetarian Recipes and Cooking
3 cups green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 shallots, minced (I omitted this)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 red Thai chilis, minced (optional)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lime juice
1.5 Tbsp Balinese base be siap (spice paste) OR substitute for Thai red curry paste
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Toast coconut in a pan over medium-low heat until lightly browned.
2. Blanch beans in boiling water until tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Drain beans and shock in ice water to cool.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add shallots, garlic, and chili powder. Cook 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned.
5. Add spice or curry paste and stir to combine, cook 1-2 more minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and lime juice. Combine mixture with green beans and serve.
Makes 4 servings.