Tuesday, May 1, 2012
India Inspired: Yellow Split Pea Daal
Yellow Split Pea Daal
Original recipe from Fork and Beans
1 large onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp ground cumin (or 2 tsp whole cumin seeds)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cup yellow split peas
4 cup water
2 cup vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups cooked Jasmine rice
1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Add the onion and garlic.
2. As onion becomes translucent, add cumin and turmeric.
3. When the onions are done browning, add the yellow split peas, water and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until split peas have softened, about 20-30 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve over rice and yogurt (optional if you're vegetarian).