I usually make cupcakes for family or holiday gatherings but when I saw this cake I just had to try it! I love chocolate and orange together and for me, it seemed perfect for Spring and Easter long weekend. The original recipe can be found on Tutupa's lab blog page.
Chocolate Orange Cake2 cups orange juice
1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
For the filling
3 – 4 oranges
1 tbsp organic cane sugar
For the chocolate ganache
1 1/2 avocado
150 gram chocolate, melted.
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. For the cake pan, grease it with oil or line with parchment paper - I used the parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice, sugar and oil together, mix together well.
3. In a larger bowl mix all dry ingredients together.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing well.
5. Place batter in your prepared cake pan and cook for about 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out dry.
6. Allow the cake to sit and cool down completely. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
7. Peel and chop the oranges. In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, add the oranges and sugar and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring often.
8. Once the cake has cooled down, cut it in 2-3 layers (depending on how high your cake has risen) and cover each layer with the orange filling.
9. To finish the cake, cover the whole thing with chocolate ganache: puree the avocado, then add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder; stir until well combined. Cover cake with ganache. I then drizzled melted chocolate all over it, garnished with a couple of orange slices, and voila! Death by chocolate.