Friday, April 22, 2011
Things you can do today to show you love the earth ...
1. Ride, walk or public transit to wherever you need to do and don't drive your car. If you absolutely must however, carpool!
2. Earth hour doesn't have to be one day, one hour, try not using any lights, your computer, television or anything else you can go without these evening even for just an hour or two.
3. Go to Starbucks, bring in your travel mug and load up on free coffee today!
4. Visit the Zoo! Remember those cute, cuddly and cool looking creatures and animals are part of this wonderful earth.
5. Plant a flower, plant a garden, plant a tree or plant a forest.
6. Donate to World Wildlife Fund or Greenpeace.
Earth Day Resources:
Thursday, April 14, 2011
This was dinner a few weeks ago: Salad greens and baked Mexican stuffed bell peppers. I got the recipe from my latest addition to my cook book collection, Ripe from Around Here by Jae Steele (p.193).
Did you know that peppers are a nightshade vegetable? Yep, and now unfortunately for me, they are also on the most unwanted list because of my new hypoallergenic diet. Makes sense now, as I read why I can't eat these lovely vegetables. Peppers contain alkaloids, which can impact nerve-muscle function and digestive function in humans and compromise joint function (see more info via link).
However, if you can handle them and love them I say eat away until you feel stuffed. As for myself, I prefer the stuffing more then the casing anyway.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
But a wonderful, amazing and loving boyfriend who surprises you with a nice dinner! Full-time work plus part-time school has been keeping me super busy these days so it's always lovely to come home to a nice home cooked meal not made by me.
On the menu...
Mixed greens with strawberries and toasted sunflower seeds (and yes, he actually toasted them himself) with dressing.
Brown rice with broccoli and stuffed mushrooms (all vegan) and delicious!
A close up of the stuffed mushroom, can't quite explain what was in it, tasted good, it did have some TVP (textured vegetable protein) and bread crumbs, a bunch of stuff that even he didn't know lol ...
It was a fantastic dinner surprise, which included some nice white wine. It was especially nice of him because he hates mushrooms, so to work with and cook them for me was a big deal.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥