This was my sweet brunch meal attempt that was definitely successful in completion and in taste but a huge fail in serving Christina. Why? Walnuts! As I finished the last touches on this delicious, gluten-free, vegan dish I forgot one more allergy to consider - nuts!
Well she definitely appreciated the effort and happily enjoyed her bowl of gluten-free cereal while Mike and I ate the crumble.
Lesson here: Have a house guest visiting? Be sure to triple-check if they have allergies, what they are exactly and adapt your recipes accordingly ... ahhhhh nuts!
Apple Walnut dried Cherry Quinoa Crumble
Original recipe from GLIVING website.
For the Crumble:
1 cup walnut halves
3/4 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup maple sugar (or I used 1/4 cup maple syrup because it’s what I had)
6 tbsp melted coconut butter
For the Apple Filling:
6 medium or 3 large apple, chopped into medium cubes
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash of fresh grated nutmeg
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp tapioca flour
Pinch of sea salt
For The Crumble:
1. Preheat oven 400.
2. To make topping: in a medium bowl mix together quinoa flakes, quinoa and tapioca flour, sugar, walnuts and salt.
3. Drizzle in oil one TB at a time, mix with wooden spoon.
4. It should look crumbly, with clumps and wet sand.
5. Refrigerate for at least an hour or until chilled (can chill overnight).
Instructions For The Filling:
1. Toss everything into an 8×8 inch glass baking dish.
2. Mix everything to combine.
3. Sprinkle reserved topping evenly over apples.
4. Bake in the middle rack of oven for 15 minutes at 400.
5. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are soft.
6. Remove from oven and let cool a bit.