Quinoa Vegetable Soup
Original recipe from You Won't Believe It's Vegan, p.74
I wanted to make this recipe but realized I was missing a few things but I went ahead and did it anyway, made a few substitutions and add-ons, so here is the version I made:
1 cup of baby carrots, washed and diced
1 large red onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups of vegetable broth + 3 cups of hot water
1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed
1 cup spinach, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1. In a 4- to 6-quart stockpot, sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, sweet potato and spices in the olive oil, over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the vegetable broth and hot water and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the quinoa to the pot. Let cook until the quinoa start to plump and soften, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the spinach at the end of the quinoa cooking time, and cook just until the vegetables are softened and wilted.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.